Woodbridge, Connecticut is located in New Haven County and has a population of approximately 9,811 people. It covers an area of 25.3 square miles and is bordered by Bethany, Orange, Ansonia, Derby, and Seymour. The town’s climate is humid continental with hot humid summers and cold winters. Check whicheverhealth for information about Barkhamsted, Connecticut.
The history of Woodbridge dates back to 1659 when it was first established as a parish within New Haven County. In 1784 it became an incorporated town. During the Revolutionary War the town was home to several prominent figures such as General Gold Selleck Silliman who led troops in the Battle of Long Island Sound.
Politically Woodbridge leans towards the Democratic party with the majority of its residents voting for Democratic candidates in most elections. The economy of Woodbridge is largely based on services and retail businesses with some light manufacturing taking place in the industrial park located near downtown.
Woodbridge residents are served by two school districts: Amity Regional School District #5 and Regional School District 13 which consists of five elementary schools, two middle schools and one high school – Amity Regional High School – which serves students from both districts.
Woodbridge also has several landmarks including Black Pond which is a popular spot for fishing, swimming, kayaking, canoeing, and ice skating; Stony Creek Museum which features exhibits about local history; Beecher House Museum which is a historic house museum; and Wild Rose Theater Company which puts on performances throughout the year at Beecher House Museum.
Population: 8,983. Estimated population in July 2020: 9,264 (+3.1% change)
Males: 4,361 (48.5%), Females: 4,622 (51.5%)
New Haven County
Median resident age: 42.8 years
Median household income: $102,121
Median house value: $319,700
Races in Woodbridge:
- White Non-Hispanic (90.3%)
- Chinese (2.2%)
- Hispanic (1.5%)
- Black (1.5%)
- Two or more races (1.4%)
- Asian Indian (1.2%)
- Korean (1.0%)
- Other race (0.6%)
Ancestries: Italian (20.0%), Irish (13.8%), English (8.6%), Russian (8.4%), Polish (8.2%), German (7.5%).
Elevation: 353 feet
Woodbridge, Connecticut is a small town located in New Haven County. It has a population of approximately 8,300 people, according to the 2010 census. The majority of the population is white (84.7%), followed by African American (6.2%), Asian (5.3%), and Hispanic or Latino (3.7%). There is also a small Native American population of 0.2%. Woodbridge is a family-oriented community with many young families and retirees living in the area. The median age is 40 years old, with almost 40% of the population under 18 years old and 15% over 65 years old. The median household income in Woodbridge is $76,927 and the median property value is $370,500 according to the US Census Bureau’s 2018 estimates. Woodbridge has a low unemployment rate of 3%, which indicates that most residents are employed within town or nearby townships. Education levels are relatively high in Woodbridge; 81% of adults have at least some college experience, with 28% having earned a bachelor’s degree or higher.
For population 25 years and over in Woodbridge
- High school or higher: 94.4%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 60.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 36.9%
- Unemployed: 1.4%
- Mean travel time to work: 23.7 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Woodbridge town
- Never married: 16.0%
- Now married: 71.9%
- Separated: 0.4%
- Widowed: 7.3%
- Divorced: 4.4%
12.8% Foreign born (6.4% Europe, 4.9% Asia).
Hospitals/medical centers near Woodbridge:
- GRIFFIN HOSPITAL (about 6 miles; DERBY, CT)
- CONNECTICUT MENTAL HEALTH CENTER (about 6 miles; NEW HAVEN, CT)
- WATERBURY HOSPITAL HEALTH CENTER (about 6 miles; WATERBURY, CT)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Woodbridge:
- TWEED-NEW HAVEN (about 12 miles; NEW HAVEN, CT; Abbreviation: HVN)
- IGOR I SIKORSKY MEMORIAL (about 16 miles; BRIDGEPORT, CT; Abbreviation: BDR)
- DANBURY MUNI (about 32 miles; DANBURY, CT; Abbreviation: DXR)
Other public-use airports nearest to Woodbridge:
- WATERBURY-OXFORD (about 12 miles; OXFORD, CT; Abbreviation: OXC)
- MERIDEN MARKHAM MUNI (about 17 miles; MERIDEN, CT; Abbreviation: MMK)
- HUMMINGBIRD (about 18 miles; WALLINGFORD, CT; Abbreviation: 4C3)
Amtrak stations near Woodbridge:
- 7 miles: NEW HAVEN (50 UNION AVE.). Services: ticket office, partially wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, snack bar, ATM, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, car rental agency, taxi stand, intercity bus service, public transit connection.
- 15 miles: WALLINGFORD (37 HALL AVE.). Services: partially wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public payphones, free short-term parking, call for car rental service, call for taxi service.
- 18 miles: BRIDGEPORT (525 WATER ST.). Services: fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, snack bar, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for car rental service, taxi stand, intercity bus service, public transit connection.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Woodbridge:
- SOUTHERN CONNECTICUT STATE UNIVERSITY (about 4 miles; NEW HAVEN, CT; Full-time enrollment: 8,808)
- YALE UNIVERSITY (about 6 miles; NEW HAVEN, CT; Full-time enrollment: 11,011)
- GATEWAY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 7 miles; NEW HAVEN, CT; Full-time enrollment: 2,100)
- UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAVEN (about 7 miles; WEST HAVEN, CT; Full-time enrollment: 3,081)
- QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY (about 9 miles; HAMDEN, CT; Full-time enrollment: 5,836)
- NAUGATUCK VALLEY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 15 miles; WATERBURY, CT; Full-time enrollment: 2,834)
- SACRED HEART UNIVERSITY (about 20 miles; FAIRFIELD, CT; Full-time enrollment: 4,120)
Public high school in Woodbridge:
- AMITY REGIONAL SENIOR HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 1,180; Location: 25 NEWTON RD.; Grades: 10 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Woodbridge:
- BEECHER ROAD INTERMEDIATE SCHOOL (Students: 540; Location: 40 BEECHER RD.; Grades: 03 – 06)
- BEECHER ROAD PRIMARY SCHOOL (Students: 358; Location: 40 BEECHER RD.; Grades: PK – 02)
- HOMEBOUND (Location: 25 NEWTON ROAD; Grades: PK – 12)
- HOMEBOUND (Location: 4 MEETINGHOUSE LANE; Grades: PK – 12)
Private primary/middle school in Woodbridge:
- EZRA ACADEMY (Students: 237; Location: 75 RIMMON RD; Grades: KG – 8)
Library in Woodbridge:
- WOODBRIDGE TOWN LIBRARY (Operating income: $612,913; Location: 10 NEWTON RD.; 68,214 books; 3,147 audio materials; 2,583 video materials; 150 serial subscriptions)