National University of General San Martin (UNSAM). It is a national, public and free university. It offers a wide range of undergraduate and postgraduate courses, both in the field of Human and Social Sciences and in Exact and Natural Sciences.
It arose from a popular proposal held in the Popular Library of San Martín (1990) due to the need to have a university in the town that would cover the demand for higher education. As a result of this initiative (arising from the population), a Law Project was presented in 1990 to create the institution, which culminated in 1992 with the approval of the University, locating its headquarters in the General San Martín district.
It was created by national law 24,095 in 1992, after there were bills and requests for its creation since 1990; the teaching activity began in 1994.
Daniel Malcom served as rector of this organizational phase and the first academic activities took place in 1994, although the consolidation and organization stage of the university was not considered closed until 1998.
Its headquarters are in the Partido de General San Martín, northwest of the Autonomous City of Buenos Aires. Built on an old railway yard of more than two hectares, the Miguelete Campus constitutes one of the main attractions of the Buenos Aires territory in terms of architectural planning and heritage conservation.
Creation of the School of Humanities
In 1999 the School of Humanities was created, whose first dean was Carlos Ruta. The Center for Philosophical Studies (CEF) is part of this school, which is in charge of philosophical research programs.
UNSAM offers the Bachelor of Philosophy as an undergraduate degree, and the Doctorate of Philosophy as a Postgraduate degree.
Resources and Alliance
More than 65% of its resources are allocated to the areas of science and technology. With the focus on joint work policies, it maintains relationships with agencies that promote scientific research and technology transfer.
Its alliances with the National Council for Scientific and Technical Research (CONICET), the National Atomic Energy Commission (CNEA), the National Institute of Industrial Technology (INTI) and the National Institute of Agricultural Technology (INTA), among others, perfect its theoretical production, the development of their research and the training of human resources.
His achievements include the cloning of a bitransgenic bovine for the production of milk similar to that of humans and the restoration of the mural Plastic Exercise, by David Alfaro Siqueiros. UNSAM also has its own publishing house (exceeding 100 published titles) and to date it has signed more than 250 agreements with foreign universities for the exchange of students, teachers and researchers.
The university has 20 academic units:
- School of Science and Technology (ECyT)
- School of Economics and Business (EEyN)
- School of Humanities (EHU)
- School of Politics and Government (EPyG)
- Biotechnological Research Institute (IIB-INTECH)
- Environmental Research and Engineering Institute (3iA)
- Institute of Industrial Quality (INCALIN)
- Dan Beninson Nuclear Technology Institute (IDB)
- Institute of Technology Professor Jorge Sabato (IS)
- Institute of Nanosystems (INS)
- Institute of Advanced Social Studies (IDAES)
- Institute of Studies in Legal Sciences (IECJ)
- Cultural Heritage Research Institute (IIPC-TAREA)
- Transport Institute (IT)
- Institute of Rehabilitation and Movement Sciences (ICRyM)
- Mauricio Kagel Institute of Arts (IAMK)
- Institute of Architecture and Urbanism (IA)
- Interdisciplinary Health Unit (UIS)
- Institute of Technologies in Detection and Astroparticles (ITEDA)
- Colomb Institute (IC)