Abbreviation refers to any shortened or contracted form of a word or phrase. Abbreviations can include initialisms, acronyms, contractions as well as some other abbreviated word forms. An acronym is an abbreviation where a new word is formed from the first letters of a series of words. All acronyms are abbreviations, but not every abbreviation is an acronym. This is the main difference between acronym and abbreviation. We will look at more differences between abbreviations and abbreviations in this article.
What is an acronym
An acronym is made from the first letters of a series of words. Acronym is often treated as a separate word. The main characteristic of an acronym is that it can be pronounced as if it were a separate word. Acronyms contain both vowels and consonants as vowels facilitate the pronunciation of the word.
For example, we refer to AIDS (Acquired Immuno-Deficiency Syndrome) as a single word, not individual letters. (/eɪdz/) Acronyms are usually written in capital letters. However, some acronyms have been in use for so long that they are accepted as common words. Words like (scuba – self-contained underwater breathing apparatus) and laser (light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation) are examples of such cases.
Some other examples of acronyms include,
NAT – North Atlantic Treaty Organization
RAM – Random Access Memory
FIFA – Fédération Internationale de Football Association (International Football Association)
OPEC -Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries
Lol, laugh out loud
UNICEF – The United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund
RIP – Rest in Peace
SIM – Subscriber-identificatiemodule
In addition, not all abbreviations are formed by the initial letters; some abbreviations also contain non-initial letters. For example, the word radar is the shortened form of radio detection and range.
What is an abbreviation
Abbreviations are abbreviated forms of words or phrases. An abbreviation consists of a group of letters of the original word or phrase itself. A word can be abbreviated by using many techniques. Acronym, initialism and contractions are some of these methods.
An acronym is made from the first letters of a series of words. It is pronounced as a separate word.
Former: FIFA, UNESCO
An initialism is also made from the first letters of a series of words. The letters are pronounced separately.
Vb: FBI, KFC, HSBC
A contraction is a shortened form of a word made by omitting certain sounds and letters.
Ex: Won’t, Isn’t, I have
In addition, abbreviations also include shortened forms such as Mr., Dr., Rev., Prof., St., etc.
Difference Between Acronym and Abbreviation
Acronym is a type of abbreviation where a new word is formed from the first letters of a series of words.
Abbreviation refers to any shortened or contracted form of a word or phrase.
Acronym is pronounced as a separate word.
Some abbreviations are not pronounced as new words.
All acronyms are abbreviations.
U.S. State Overview
- Greenwich, Connecticut - According to existingcountries, Greenwich, Connecticut is a beautiful town located in the southwestern corner of Connecticut. It is bordered on the north by Stamford, on the east by Rye Brook, New York, on the south by Port Chester, New York...
- Bardwell, Texas - According to ehuacom, Bardwell, Texas is a small town located in Ellis County, approximately an hour south of Dallas. The town lies along the Trinity River where it meets the Red River, and is situated in a flat region of...
- American University (AU) - According to abbreviationfinder, American University is commonly known as AU. American University (AU) was established in 1893 as a Methodist-affiliated institution. It is a private, non-profit university located in Washington, D.C., United States. The mission of AU is to provide students...
- Central City, Kentucky - According to ehuacom, Central City, Kentucky is situated in Muhlenberg County, located in the western region of the state. The town lies on the northern edge of the Pennyrile region of Kentucky, which is characterized by gently rolling hills and...
- American College of Theriogenologists (ACT) - According to abbreviationfinder, American College of Theriogenologists is commonly known as ACT. The American College of Theriogenologists (ACT) was established in 1979 as a non-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of theriogenology and the professional development of its members. The college...
- Bellefontaine, Ohio - According to Jibin123, Bellefontaine, Ohio is a small city located in Logan County. It is situated in the western part of the state along Interstate 70, approximately 40 miles northwest of Columbus. The city covers an area of 4.5 square...
- American College of Medical Toxicology (ACMT) - According to abbreviationfinder, American College of Medical Toxicology is commonly known as ACMT. The American College of Medical Toxicology (ACMT) was founded in 1988 and is a professional organization devoted to the practice of medical toxicology. It is the premier organization...
- Atlantic Beach, North Carolina - According to iamaccepted, Atlantic Beach is a small town located on the east coast of North Carolina. It lies in the Outer Banks, a 200-mile stretch of barrier islands off the coast of North Carolina. Atlantic Beach is situated on...
- Antlers, Oklahoma - According to existingcountries, Antlers, Oklahoma is located in the southeastern part of the state, and is situated along the banks of the Kiamichi River. The town is surrounded by lush green hills and valleys, providing a peaceful atmosphere and stunning...
- Binford, North Dakota - According to ehuacom, Binford, North Dakota is located in the southeast corner of the state, just a few miles from the Minnesota border. The city is situated on the banks of the Red River, which provides a scenic backdrop to...