Abbreviation refers to any shortened or contracted form of a word or phrase. Abbreviations can include initialisms, acronyms, contractions as well as some other abbreviated word forms. An acronym is an abbreviation where a new word is formed from the first letters of a series of words. All acronyms are abbreviations, but not every abbreviation is an acronym. This is the main difference between acronym and abbreviation. We will look at more differences between abbreviations and abbreviations in this article.
What is an acronym
An acronym is made from the first letters of a series of words. Acronym is often treated as a separate word. The main characteristic of an acronym is that it can be pronounced as if it were a separate word. Acronyms contain both vowels and consonants as vowels facilitate the pronunciation of the word.
For example, we refer to AIDS (Acquired Immuno-Deficiency Syndrome) as a single word, not individual letters. (/eɪdz/) Acronyms are usually written in capital letters. However, some acronyms have been in use for so long that they are accepted as common words. Words like (scuba – self-contained underwater breathing apparatus) and laser (light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation) are examples of such cases.
Some other examples of acronyms include,
NAT – North Atlantic Treaty Organization
RAM – Random Access Memory
FIFA – Fédération Internationale de Football Association (International Football Association)
OPEC -Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries
Lol, laugh out loud
UNICEF – The United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund
RIP – Rest in Peace
SIM – Subscriber-identificatiemodule
In addition, not all abbreviations are formed by the initial letters; some abbreviations also contain non-initial letters. For example, the word radar is the shortened form of radio detection and range.
What is an abbreviation
Abbreviations are abbreviated forms of words or phrases. An abbreviation consists of a group of letters of the original word or phrase itself. A word can be abbreviated by using many techniques. Acronym, initialism and contractions are some of these methods.
An acronym is made from the first letters of a series of words. It is pronounced as a separate word.
Former: FIFA, UNESCO
An initialism is also made from the first letters of a series of words. The letters are pronounced separately.
Vb: FBI, KFC, HSBC
A contraction is a shortened form of a word made by omitting certain sounds and letters.
Ex: Won’t, Isn’t, I have
In addition, abbreviations also include shortened forms such as Mr., Dr., Rev., Prof., St., etc.
Difference Between Acronym and Abbreviation
Acronym is a type of abbreviation where a new word is formed from the first letters of a series of words.
Abbreviation refers to any shortened or contracted form of a word or phrase.
Acronym is pronounced as a separate word.
Some abbreviations are not pronounced as new words.
All acronyms are abbreviations.
U.S. State Overview
- Amazon Brand Registration - Are you active on Amazon with your own brand? Then you should definitely look into the Amazon brand registration. We will explain to you exactly what this is all about and how to register your brand on the marketplace. What...
- Warsaw, Poland - Warsaw is the capital of Poland and the largest city in Europe. Having survived many upheavals and conquests, it has carefully preserved to this day the most valuable of its era. People go to Warsaw to wander through the streets...
- Sweet Definition - The first step to discover the meaning of the term sweet is to know its etymological origin. In this case, we can state that it is a word that derives from Latin, exactly from “dulcis” which means “sweet”. According to...
- Tallinn, Estonia - According to wholevehicles.com, Tallinn is a relatively small but rich in historical and cultural sights city on the southern coast of the Gulf of Finland. If you are going to visit the Estonian capital, it is better to plan a...
- Skhidnitsa, Ukraine - Skhodnitsa is a small balneological resort, which once became famous as the oil capital of Galicia, and then thundered throughout the USSR as an All-Union health resort. The healing properties of local mineral water such as “Naftusya” have not been...
- Fayetteville, North Carolina - According to jibin123, Fayetteville is a city in the US state of North Carolina. The city has 209,000 inhabitants and an agglomeration with 525,000 inhabitants (2021). This makes it the sixth largest city in North Carolina. Fayetteville is best known...
- Sigtuna, Sweden - In 970, the legendary king Eric VI the Victorious decided to found a new city on the shores of Lake Mälaren. Very quickly, the settlement became the most important political, economic and cultural center of the Scandinavian Peninsula. Those glorious...
- Kilimanjaro, Tanzania - “Crown of Tanzania” – Mount Kilimanjaro (from Swahili – “mountain that sparkles”). It is impossible not to recognize it – towering directly above the flat plains, covered at the top with a snow cap, it has become a real symbol...
- Wayward Definition - Before entering fully into the meaning of the term wayward, we are going to proceed to know its etymological origin. In this case we can state that it derives from Latin, exactly from “dyscolus” which, in turn, derives from the...
- Divorce Definition - From the Latin divortium, divorce is the action and effect of divorcing or divorcing (dissolving a marriage by legal means, separating or separating people or things that were together). For example: “I just signed the divorce with Marcos; the situation...