Abbreviation refers to any shortened or contracted form of a word or phrase. Abbreviations can include initialisms, acronyms, contractions as well as some other abbreviated word forms. An acronym is an abbreviation where a new word is formed from the first letters of a series of words. All acronyms are abbreviations, but not every abbreviation is an acronym. This is the main difference between acronym and abbreviation. We will look at more differences between abbreviations and abbreviations in this article.
What is an acronym
An acronym is made from the first letters of a series of words. Acronym is often treated as a separate word. The main characteristic of an acronym is that it can be pronounced as if it were a separate word. Acronyms contain both vowels and consonants as vowels facilitate the pronunciation of the word.
For example, we refer to AIDS (Acquired Immuno-Deficiency Syndrome) as a single word, not individual letters. (/eɪdz/) Acronyms are usually written in capital letters. However, some acronyms have been in use for so long that they are accepted as common words. Words like (scuba – self-contained underwater breathing apparatus) and laser (light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation) are examples of such cases.
Some other examples of acronyms include,
NAT – North Atlantic Treaty Organization
RAM – Random Access Memory
FIFA – Fédération Internationale de Football Association (International Football Association)
OPEC -Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries
Lol, laugh out loud
UNICEF – The United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund
RIP – Rest in Peace
SIM – Subscriber-identificatiemodule
In addition, not all abbreviations are formed by the initial letters; some abbreviations also contain non-initial letters. For example, the word radar is the shortened form of radio detection and range.
What is an abbreviation
Abbreviations are abbreviated forms of words or phrases. An abbreviation consists of a group of letters of the original word or phrase itself. A word can be abbreviated by using many techniques. Acronym, initialism and contractions are some of these methods.
An acronym is made from the first letters of a series of words. It is pronounced as a separate word.
Former: FIFA, UNESCO
An initialism is also made from the first letters of a series of words. The letters are pronounced separately.
Vb: FBI, KFC, HSBC
A contraction is a shortened form of a word made by omitting certain sounds and letters.
Ex: Won’t, Isn’t, I have
In addition, abbreviations also include shortened forms such as Mr., Dr., Rev., Prof., St., etc.
Difference Between Acronym and Abbreviation
Acronym is a type of abbreviation where a new word is formed from the first letters of a series of words.
Abbreviation refers to any shortened or contracted form of a word or phrase.
Acronym is pronounced as a separate word.
Some abbreviations are not pronounced as new words.
All acronyms are abbreviations.
U.S. State Overview
- ACI Definition - According to abbreviationfinder, American College Institute is commonly known as ACI. American College Institute (ACI) was established in 1986 by two visionary entrepreneurs, John Smith and Mary Jones. The college was the first of its kind to offer students a unique...
- Glenmora, Louisiana - Glenmora, Louisiana is a small city located in the central region of the state. The population according to the most recent census was 4,567. Glenmora is situated in a flat, coastal plain and is bordered by rivers, streams, and lakes....
- AZPU Definition - According to abbreviationfinder, Al-Zaytoonah Private University of Jordan is commonly known as AZPU. Al-Zaytoonah Private University of Jordan was established in 1997, with a mission to provide quality education to students from all walks of life. It is the first private...
- Gonzales, Louisiana - Gonzales, Louisiana is a small city located in the southeastern part of the state. With a population of 11,873 as of 2019, it is the largest incorporated city in Ascension Parish. The geography of Gonzales is mostly flat land with...
- Woodbridge, Connecticut - Woodbridge, Connecticut is located in New Haven County and has a population of approximately 9,811 people. It covers an area of 25.3 square miles and is bordered by Bethany, Orange, Ansonia, Derby, and Seymour. The town’s climate is humid continental...
- AKU Definition - According to abbreviationfinder, Aga Khan University is commonly known as AKU. Aga Khan University (AKU) is an international university located in Pakistan, with a branch in East Africa. It was established in 1983 as a private, non-profit university to promote...
- AU Definition - According to abbreviationfinder, Aberdeen University is commonly known as AU. Aberdeen University is a public research university located in the city of Aberdeen, Scotland. Founded in 1495, it is the fifth oldest university in the United Kingdom and one of the...
- Warsaw, Poland - Warsaw is the capital of Poland and the largest city in Europe. Having survived many upheavals and conquests, it has carefully preserved to this day the most valuable of its era. People go to Warsaw to wander through the streets...
- Sweet Definition - The first step to discover the meaning of the term sweet is to know its etymological origin. In this case, we can state that it is a word that derives from Latin, exactly from “dulcis” which means “sweet”. According to...
- Tallinn, Estonia - According to wholevehicles.com, Tallinn is a relatively small but rich in historical and cultural sights city on the southern coast of the Gulf of Finland. If you are going to visit the Estonian capital, it is better to plan a...