Abbreviation refers to any shortened or contracted form of a word or phrase. Abbreviations can include initialisms, acronyms, contractions as well as some other abbreviated word forms. An acronym is an abbreviation where a new word is formed from the first letters of a series of words. All acronyms are abbreviations, but not every abbreviation is an acronym. This is the main difference between acronym and abbreviation. We will look at more differences between abbreviations and abbreviations in this article.
What is an acronym
An acronym is made from the first letters of a series of words. Acronym is often treated as a separate word. The main characteristic of an acronym is that it can be pronounced as if it were a separate word. Acronyms contain both vowels and consonants as vowels facilitate the pronunciation of the word.
For example, we refer to AIDS (Acquired Immuno-Deficiency Syndrome) as a single word, not individual letters. (/eɪdz/) Acronyms are usually written in capital letters. However, some acronyms have been in use for so long that they are accepted as common words. Words like (scuba – self-contained underwater breathing apparatus) and laser (light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation) are examples of such cases.
Some other examples of acronyms include,
NAT – North Atlantic Treaty Organization
RAM – Random Access Memory
FIFA – Fédération Internationale de Football Association (International Football Association)
OPEC -Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries
Lol, laugh out loud
UNICEF – The United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund
RIP – Rest in Peace
SIM – Subscriber-identificatiemodule
In addition, not all abbreviations are formed by the initial letters; some abbreviations also contain non-initial letters. For example, the word radar is the shortened form of radio detection and range.
What is an abbreviation
Abbreviations are abbreviated forms of words or phrases. An abbreviation consists of a group of letters of the original word or phrase itself. A word can be abbreviated by using many techniques. Acronym, initialism and contractions are some of these methods.
An acronym is made from the first letters of a series of words. It is pronounced as a separate word.
Former: FIFA, UNESCO
An initialism is also made from the first letters of a series of words. The letters are pronounced separately.
Vb: FBI, KFC, HSBC
A contraction is a shortened form of a word made by omitting certain sounds and letters.
Ex: Won’t, Isn’t, I have
In addition, abbreviations also include shortened forms such as Mr., Dr., Rev., Prof., St., etc.
Difference Between Acronym and Abbreviation
Acronym is a type of abbreviation where a new word is formed from the first letters of a series of words.
Abbreviation refers to any shortened or contracted form of a word or phrase.
Acronym is pronounced as a separate word.
Some abbreviations are not pronounced as new words.
All acronyms are abbreviations.
U.S. State Overview
- Tulane University - Tulane University, located in the vibrant city of New Orleans, Louisiana, is a distinguished private research institution with a rich history, a commitment to academic excellence, and a unique cultural influence. Established in 1834, Tulane has evolved into a comprehensive...
- Meanings of Acronym KU - According to AbbreviationFinder, the acronym “KU” has various meanings and interpretations across different contexts. While it might not require 900 words to describe all of these meanings individually, I can certainly provide a comprehensive overview of some of the most...
- Cameras - Cameras are devices that capture and record visual images, allowing individuals to preserve memories, document events, and express creativity through photography. The evolution of camera technology has been remarkable, ranging from traditional film cameras to the advanced digital cameras of...
- Meanings of Acronym MU - According to AbbreviationFinder, the acronym “MU” is a versatile abbreviation with various meanings and interpretations across different domains, depending on the context in which it is used. In this comprehensive exploration, we will delve into numerous possible meanings of “MU,”...
- Dayton, Ohio - Dayton, Ohio is a city located in the western part of the state, in Montgomery County. Nestled in the Great Miami River Valley, it is situated in the southwestern region of Ohio. The city covers an area of approximately 56.6...
- Oldham, South Dakota - Oldham, South Dakota is a small town located in Kingsbury County in the eastern part of the state. Situated approximately 40 miles northwest of Sioux Falls, it is surrounded by an expanse of beautiful prairies and rolling hills. The town...
- Meanings of Acronym ON - According to abbreviationfinder, the acronym “ON” is a concise abbreviation with multiple meanings and interpretations across various domains, industries, and languages. Its applications range from technology and geography to education and communication. In this comprehensive exploration of the acronym “ON,”...
- Gambia - The Gambia: A Smiling Coast of Africa with Rich Culture and Natural Beauty The Gambia, officially known as the Republic of The Gambia, is a small but captivating country located in West Africa. Known for its beautiful beaches, cultural diversity,...
- Colombo, Sri Lanka Geography - Colombo, the capital city of Sri Lanka, is located on the western coast of the island nation in the Indian Ocean. The geography of Colombo is characterized by its coastal location, the influence of the Indian Ocean, and the surrounding...
- Meanings of Acronym QI - According to abbreviationfinder, the acronym “QI” can have several meanings and interpretations depending on the context in which it is used. Acronyms often have multiple meanings, and understanding “QI” relies on specific context. In this comprehensive exploration, we will delve...